STATE BOARD OF EXAMINERS
February 18, 1999 - 8:55 a.m.
JRW West Conference Room
Governor Dirk Kempthorne, Chairman of the Board
Secretary of State Pete T. Cenarrusa
Attorney General Alan G. Lance
State Controller and Secretary of the Board J. D. Williams
Sub-Committee Members Attending:
Jeff Malmen, Office of Governor
Ben Ysursa, Office of Secretary of State
David High, Office of Attorney General
H. W. Turner, Office of State Controller
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
1. Request for authorization to use up to $200,000 per year of Penalty & Interest monies under Idaho Code §72-1348(b) to cover the full cost of Governor Kempthorne's Education Advisor, Dr. Tom Morley, and forty percent of the cost of Governor Kempthorne's Rural Development Advisor, Mr. Darrel McRoberts. This sum will also cover Department indirect costs allocated to these activities under the Department's indirect cost agreement with the United States Department of Labor. Approximately $165,000 of this request will be needed for salaries, fringe and operating expenses such as travel.
2. UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO
Request for authorization to reimburse Michael Bohn, University of Idaho Athletic Director, additional moving expenses associated with travel and storage of household goods, in the amount of $3,120. Moving expense reimbursement for Mr. Bohn in the amount of $6,880 was approved by the Board of Examiners on April 10, 1998.
3. DIVISION OF FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
Request for authorization to pay 229.0 hours compensatory time for Steve Tate, accrued prior to September 1998. Mr. Tate is the only IT professional providing information technology support to the Governor's Office and the Lt. Governor's Office, in addition to DFM. He is also nearing his maximum vacation hours allowed.
4. LAVA HOT SPRINGS FOUNDATION
Request for authorization to pay 201.0 hours compensatory time for Mr. Mike Hansen, Maintenance Supervisor, accrued from 1997 to September 1998. He was responsible not only for his position and duties this past year, but spent many hours maintaining and supervising the Olympic Swimming Complex after the Pool Supervisor terminated employment.
5. IDAHO PUBLIC TELEVISION
Request for authorization to trade a Sun SPARCstation 20 to Micron Internet Services in exchange for services they currently provide the agency in the amount of $2,500.00. This equipment has been advertised to other state agencies with no response.
OFFICE OF ATTORNEY GENERAL
6. Notification that Steven K. Brown of the law firm of Hopkins, Roden, Crockett, Hansen & Hoopes, has been appointed to represent the interest of the State of Idaho in the Elnathaniel Buckskin, Medical Malpractice Investigation, pursuant to Idaho Code §67-1409.
7. Notification that George Parham, David Lee, and/or Tom Coston, in-house counsel for the State Insurance Fund, will be periodically appointed to represent the Fund in various cases, pursuant to Idaho Code §67-1409.
8. Notification that William A. McCurdy, of the law firm of Brassey, Wetherell, Crawford & McCurdy, has been appointed to represent the Department of Transportation in the State v. KB Investments, Inc., Case No. CV-96--3070, pursuant to Idaho Code §67-1409.
Motion to approve the Consent Agenda was made by Secretary of State Pete T. Cenarrusa. Attorney General Alan G. Lance seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.
9. Annual reports from Boise State University, Idaho State University, University of Idaho, and Lewis-Clark State College on moving expense reimbursements for the year of 1998.
10. Estimate of the State Insurance Fund expenses to be paid by sight draft for the month of February 1999, pursuant to Idaho Code §72-927
Fund expended in January 1999.
Estimated expenditures for workers $7,500,000.00
compensation claim costs, dividends,
and premium refunds
Workers Compensation Claim Costs $ 4,865,322.97
Policy Refunds 721,507.52
11. Estimate of the Petroleum Storage Tank Fund expenses to be paid by sight draft for the month of February 1999, pursuant to Idaho Code §41-4919.
Fund expended in January 1999 for the Petroleum Storage Tank Fund:
Estimated expenditures for $750,000.00
Petroleum Storage Tank Fund
Payroll $ 52,000.16
Continuous Appropriations - Operations 15,855.95
Continuous Appropriations - PSTF Claim Costs 235,758.23
WHEREUPON THE MEETING OF THE STATE BOARD OF EXAMINERS was adjourned, subject to the call of the Chairman.
Governor Dirk Kempthorne
Chairman of the Board
J. D. Williams, Secretary to the Board
and State Controller