STATE BOARD OF EXAMINERS
Wednesday, April 8, 1998 – 9:00 a.m.
JRW East Conference Room
Attending: David High, Office of Attorney General
Darrell Manning, Office of Governor
H. W. Turner, Office of State Controller
Ben Ysursa, Office of Secretary of State
Dave Paskett, Department of Corrections
John McAllister, Department of Labor
Winston Wiggins, Department of Lands
Greg Fitch, State Board of Education
DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS - Dave Paskett, Warden, Maximum Security Prison
1. Request for authorization to pay 227.0 hours compensatory time for Marlene Duclos accrued from May, 1997 to March 31, 1998. Most of this overtime was accrued while she was a Food Service Officer and some after she was promoted to Food Service Supervisor.
Dave Paskett reported Marlene Duclos worked extra hours during the absence of her supervisor and later when she was promoted to the supervisor position.
2. Request for authorization to pay 349.0 hours compensatory time for Deborah A. Shields-Coursey, Associate Warden, and 134.5 hours for Timothy B. Higgins, Correctional Lieutenant. The compensatory time was accrued because of heavy work loads and the inability to take the time off:
Dave Paskett reported Deborah Shields-Coursey worked extra hours in preparation of a lengthy trial with inmates and Timothy Higgins accrued overtime while monitoring the Idaho inmates situation in Texas and Louisiana for three months. Ben Ysursa made a motion to recommend approval on the Consent Agenda for Numbers 1 and 2. Darrell Manning seconded the motion.
3. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR – John McAllister, Deputy Director
Request for authorization to reimburse moving expenses for Gary Armentrout, IT Programmer Analyst Senior, in the amount of $13,500
John McAllister reported they would like to reimburse this moving expense because they have had difficulty in obtaining and keeping IT people. This position has been vacant for over a year. Another company has offered this applicant more money and Department of Labor would like to pay the moving expense as a means to hire him. Ben Ysursa made a motion to recommend approval on the Consent Agenda. David High seconded the motion. Passed unanimously. It was recommended that John McAllister attend the Board of Examiners meeting on Friday, April 10, 1998 in case there are further questions.
4. DEPARTMENT OF LANDS – Winston Wiggins
Request for authorization to establish per diem rate for wildland fire suppression activities to equal the prevailing out-of-state per diem rate, including partial day limits.
Winston Wiggins stated they would like to pay their wildland fire suppression employees the out of state per diem rate while they are fighting fires because of increased individual food calorie intake requirements. Ben Ysursa said the per diem rates are set by statute for $20.00 in-state and $30.00 out-of-state and the Board of Examiners cannot fix a higher rate. Darrell Manning suggested they contract for services with restaurants for emergency purposes. The employees would not receive the per diem rate. Darrell suggested the department pursue that and if it proves unsuccessful to request further action by the Board of Examiners.
5. UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO – Greg Fitch, Executive Director, State Board of Education
Request for authorization to reimburse moving expenses for Michael Bohn, Athletic Director, in the amount of $6,880.
Greg Fitch reported they would like to reimburse moving expense for the new Athletic Director who is moving from Denver, Colorado. Ben Ysursa made a motion to recommend approval on the Consent Agenda with the stipulation that something be included in the contract that if they voluntarily terminate employment before the year’s end, they must reimburse the state. Greg said it will be put into the contract. Darrell Manning seconded the motion. Passed unanimously.
OFFICE OF ATTORNEY GENERAL
6. Request for authorization to grant bonuses not to exceed $2,000 per employee during this fiscal year, in addition to the prior adjustment for PERSI savings, pursuant to Idaho Code § 59-1603(7).
Darrell Manning inquired if the bonuses would be coming from salary savings. David High stated the funds are in their available Personnel funds. Darrell Manning made a motion to recommend approval on the Consent Agenda. Ben Ysursa seconded the motion. Passed unanimously.
7. Notification that Mr. Michael J. Kane, of the firm of Anderson, Kane & Tobiason, has been appointed to represent the Department of Transportation In the Matter of the Driving Privileges of Joseph Coughlan, Case No. CV-98-01320D, pursuant to Idaho Code § 67-1409.
8. Notification that Mr. Jed W. Manwaring, of the firm of Evans, Keane, LLP, has been appointed to represent the State Insurance Fund in the SIF v. G&D Steel, Inc., Case No. CV-OC-97-04309D; SIF v. J.D. Construction, Inc., Case No. CV-97-3478; SIF v. J.J. Enterprises, Inc., Case No. CV-OC-96-01124D; and Future SIF Collection Cases, pursuant to Idaho Code § 67-1409.
9. Notification that Michael J. Kane, attorney at law, has been appointed to represent the State of Idaho in any appeal from a hearing officer’s decision filed pursuant to the authority of Idaho Code § 18-8002A, Automatic License Suspension Program, pursuant to Idaho Code § 67-1409.
Ben Ysursa made a motion to recommend approval on the Consent Agenda for #’s 7, 8, and 9. Darrell Manning seconded the motion. Passed unanimously.
10. OFFICE OF STATE TREASURER – Laurie Steffler, Fiscal Officer; and Mike Moore, Bond Counsel
Request for authorization to issue tax anticipation notes in an amount not to exceed $1,041,727,500.00. These notes would be issued prior to June 30, 1999, as necessary and pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 32 of Title 63, of the Idaho Code.
April 8, 1998
11. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION - Richard Transtrum, Chief of Administration; and Sue Simmons, Controller
Request for authorization to extend vacation accrual in excess of the maximum allowable limit for the following employees while working on the new Integrated Financial Management System. Because of the revised implementation date and extended support required, an extension is requested until July 1, 1998. Any excess balances accrued will be liquidated before December 30, 1998.
Harold Baxter Leonard Campbell
Kathyren Chase Tom Martin
St. Steven Hunt Jim Csencsits
Mary Mangum John Hurst
Ronald Mangum Laurie McAllister
Dee Moffat Jeff Kopsa
Kurtis Smith Ron Stricklin
Randy Hall David Hall