Create a Document with Fiscal Coding
Once a Deposit is completed, a Cash Receipts document can be created from it so that fiscal coding can be entered and the document can be approved and released.
Also, refer to the Common Transation Codes documentation.
1. If you finished the deposit and immediately want to enter the fiscal coding and distribution, click the Distribute tab. Otherwise, click the Status tab and click the Document link from the list of Deposits.
2. Click the Status tab.
3. In the Deposits section, locate the deposit number and click Document. NOTE: To select a Cash Receipts document that you have previously saved, click Edit next to the document.
4. The Distribute screen will open. Enter a new, eight character alphanumeric document number in the Doc # field. It cannot be a previously used document number.
5. Select a batch type from the Batch Type menu. The batch type selections are:
Batch type J - to record an increase in cash equal to the amount of the cash deposit. Use this for normal deposits to the State Treasurer's Office (STO) when you have cash to deposit, an EFT to deposit, or to show a sale, maturity, or coupon payment of an investment with its interest. Does not allow an “R" reversal.
Batch type I - The Deposit slip must be entered with a negative amount (a minus sign) to be used on a Batch Type I or else the Distribute Receipt Complete button will not be available (greyed out). Batch Type I is generally used to record a decrease to cash for an insufficient funds check, etc. STO may use this batch type to reduce cash to correct a previous bank deposit error. The application will automatically enter an “R" reversal indicator.
6. If desired, enter a requested release date (Req Release Date) or select a date using the calendar icon. This date will be used for STO or DFM release.
7. Enter a 30 character description in the Description field, if desired. Do not use special characters or symbols, such as &, ', “, <, and \.
8. If your agency uses Group names, you can select a Group from the drop down menu.
9. Type comments in the Comments field, if desired. Do not use special characters or symbols, including &, ', “, <, and \.
10. Click Save Document. A summary of the deposit is displayed. A “distribution grid" with column headers is also displayed.
Figure 2 - New Document "Header"
A Batch # displayed at the top of the screen. The batch number is assigned when the deposit is approved and released to DFM or STO. Each deposit that is released to DFM or STO will be assigned a unique batch number (a different batch number for each deposit). The Batch # will increment when a deposit is sent to DFM or STO. (The range of batch numbers used for your agency is set by the Cash Receipts administrator.)
11. If there are attached receipts to view for the document, an asterisk will appear on Attachments tab.
Click the Attachments tab.
Click View for each attachment to open a separate window.
You can also add a new or additional attachment.
1. Click Add Row to add a blank row to enter fiscal coding. Do not exceed 20 transaction rows. Exceeding this number of transaction rows may cause an error when fiscal coding distribution is completed or when you submit the transactions to an approver.
2. This step can be done now or in later steps:
Change the Amount of the first row, then click Add Row. You could change this amount, enter a TC, and the click Add Row again. Keep doing this to “split" the receipt amounts and then enter different fiscal coding for each row.
3. Enter a transaction code in the TC field.
4. Press TAB or click into another field and other fiscal code fields required by the TC will be highlighted in pink. NOTE: You can save your fiscal coding or distribution without having to enter anything in the required fields. However, these fields will be required at the time the distribution is marked as complete.
5. Complete the remainder of the fiscal coding (Index, PCA, Subobject, etc). Do not use special characters or symbols, including &, ', “, <, and \, in the Description field.
6. Any fiscal code field designated with an asterisk can perform lookups or validations:
To look up or search for a fiscal code, choose a field marked with an asterisk, place the cursor in the field, and press F3.
In the look up window, enter any combination of search criteria. You can enter just the first few numbers or letters of a code or Title (description). It is often helpful to use the wildcard (%) in front of and/or after you search terms.
Click the fiscal code you want to use. The fiscal code field will be automatically populated with that code. If the code you select has been set up in STARS to also look up any related fiscal codes, these will also be entered.
Press TAB after entering a fiscal code and it will be validated to be sure it is one that you can use. Error messages will be displayed if it is not a valid fiscal code.
7. If you did not yet create additional rows, click Add Row.
If desired, change the Amount of the first row, then click Add Row. The remaining balance of the deposit will be displayed in the Amount field. You could change this amount, and the click Add Row again. Keep doing this to “split" the receipt amounts and then enter different fiscal coding for each row. Note that the Balance will not keep a running total, but will update when you click Save Document.
Click Undo Updates before you save the document.
After you save the document, you can change the fiscal code fields or click Del next to each distribution line to make corrections.
The Balance of the distribution screen must match the Total of the deposit, otherwise the Distribute Receipt Complete button will be greyed out.
Click Delete Document if you want to completely delete the document – the distribution rows as well as the document number, description, etc.
10. Click Deposit to open a separate view of the Deposit detail to use while entering distribution amounts (without having to go back to the Deposit screen).
11. If desired, click Preview to open a separate window and select and view the titles of the fiscal codes to ensure you have used the proper fiscal codes.
A Deposit to be used on a Batch Type I must be entered with a negative amount or the Distribute Receipt Complete button will not be available, even though the document can be created and saved.
Be sure the Balance of the distribution screen matches the Total of the deposit, otherwise the Distribute Receipt Complete button will be greyed out.