Travel Advances

1. Create a warrant advance in STARS using transaction code (TC) 223. The TC 223 will post to the Document File and to the General Ledger 1549 (Advances To\From Traveler). This provides a way to track the advance.

2. When the traveler presents their travel reimbursement form, use a TC 224 to record the travel expenses by Subobject (and liquidate the Document File amount that was created by the TC 223). Use the Document File Number from the TC 223 in the Reference Document Number field of the TC 224.

3. If the state owes the traveler (the reimbursement amount is greater than the TC 223 warrant advance), use a TC 230 for the extra expenses. (TC 230 will create a warrant for the traveler.)

4. The traveler must return any advance amount not used.

5. To deposit the return, use a TC 112 in STARS or Cash Receipts in a J batch.

  • Use the Document Number from the original TC 223 advance in the Reference Document Number field of the TC 112. This will liquidate the Document record.

6. To deposit any P-Card advance amount not used, use a TC 103.


If you do not know which grant/project will be used for a travel advance, you can still create a warrant advance in STARS using transaction code 223. Grant/project codes are optional when using TC223. However, doing so will create a debit balance in GL1549 at the fund level without a grant/project.

You can record the expenses from the warrant advance using TC 224 and enter grant/project coding. This will create a credit balance in General Ledger (GL) 1549 with a grant/project.

If you use a fund with one transaction code and a fund and grant/project with the other transaction code, you will have a GL 1549 in the fund and an offsetting GL 1549 in the fund with a grant. You will need to make an adjustment using the following transaction codes:

  • Use a TC 22AR using the same fund as the original TC 223.
  • Use a TC 22A using the same fund and grant/project as the original TC 224.